Israel says nine more militants killed in Hamas tunnels

BSS
Published On: 28 Nov 2025, 20:22

JERUSALEM, Nov 28, 2025 (BSS/AFP) - The Israeli army said Friday it had 
found the bodies of nine Palestinian militants recently killed in its 
attempts to dismantle the tunnel network in the southern Gaza Strip.

During operations in eastern Rafah, soldiers "located nine additional 
terrorists who had been eliminated in the underground terror infrastructure", 
the army said in a statement.

"Thus far, over 30 terrorists who attempted to flee the underground terror 
infrastructure in eastern Rafah have been eliminated."

Multiple sources told AFP on Thursday that negotiations were underway 
regarding the fate of dozens of Hamas fighters holed up in southern Gaza's 
tunnels, beneath areas under Israeli military control.

On Wednesday, Hamas called on mediating countries to pressure Israel to allow 
safe passage -- the first time the Islamist group had publicly acknowledged 
the situation.

The US-brokered ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, with Egypt, Turkey and 
Qatar as mediators, entered into force on October 10.

Under its terms, the Israeli army withdrew behind the so-called Yellow Line 
within the Gaza Strip, a boundary marked on the surface with yellow concrete 
blocks.

The Hamas militants are in tunnels located on the Israeli-controlled side of 
the Yellow Line.

A source from one of the mediating countries confirmed to AFP on Thursday 
that the United States, Egypt, Turkey and Qatar have been discussing "with 
the aim of reaching a compromise that would allow Hamas fighters to leave the 
tunnels behind the Yellow Line near Rafah".

"The current proposal would grant them safe passage to areas not under 
Israeli control, helping to ensure this does not become a friction point that 
leads to further violations or the collapse of the ceasefire," the source 
added.

A prominent Hamas member in Gaza told AFP that the group estimated their 
number to be between 60 and 80.

On this subject, an Israeli government spokesperson told AFP earlier this 
month that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu "is not allowing safe passage".

The ceasefire remains fragile, with Israel and Hamas accusing each other of 
violating the terms, while the Gaza Strip remains in a deep humanitarian 
crisis.

The Gaza war was sparked by Hamas's October 7, 2023 attack on Israel, which 
resulted in the deaths of 1,221 people.

Israel's retaliatory assault on Gaza has killed at least 69,799 people, 
according to figures from the territory's health ministry that the UN 
considers reliable.

The ministry says that since the ceasefire came into effect, 352 Palestinians 
have been killed by Israeli fire.

  • Latest
  • Most Viewed
Ex-JUJA Secy Syed Abdal honoured for investigative journalism
Tarique Rahman thanks Chief Adviser for wishing Khaleda Zia's speedy recovery
Shafiqur Rahman sworn in as Jamaat chief for third consecutive term
Khalid urges all to help maintain peaceful environment ahead of polls
Govt clarifies Google takedown request figures, rejects claims of content control
Doa mahfils held across Feni for Khaleda Zia's quick recovery
RSSP begins 2-day 23rd founding anniversary celebrations
Sports key to building drug-free society: Tuku
UN fears mass-electronic surveillance during Myanmar vote
Special prayers offered in Bagerhat for Khaleda Zia's speedy recovery
১০