
COLOMBO, Nov 29, 2025 (BSS/AFP) - Sri Lanka declared a state of emergency on
Saturday and appealed for international assistance as the death toll from
heavy rains and floods triggered by Cyclone Ditwah rose to 132, with another
176 reported missing.
The extreme weather system has destroyed more than 15,000 homes, sending
78,000 people to state-run temporary shelters, the Disaster Management Centre
(DMC) said.
President Anura Kumara Dissanayake invoked emergency laws, granting him
sweeping powers to deal with the devastation after a week of torrential rain
across the island.
"We have 132 confirmed dead and another 176 missing," DMC Director-General
Sampath Kotuwegoda said, adding that relief efforts had been bolstered with
the deployment of the army, navy and air force.
The military rescued 69 bus passengers on Saturday, including a German
tourist, who were marooned in the Anuradhapura district after a 24-hour
operation involving a helicopter and naval boats.
One of the passengers, speaking to reporters at a local hospital, said navy
sailors had helped them climb onto the roof of a nearby home after using
ropes to help them safely wade through flood waters.
"We were very lucky... while we were on the roof, a part of it collapsed...
three women fell into the water, but they were helped back onto the roof,"
Shantha said.
A helicopter had to abort an initial rescue attempt as the downdraft from the
rotors threatened to blow away the roof they were perched on, he said.
They were later rescued by naval boats.
Roads in the central district of Badulla remained inaccessible, leaving many
villages cut off and relief supplies unable to get through.
"We lost two people in our village... others are sheltering at a temple and a
house that is still standing," said Saman Kumara from the village of Maspanna
in Badulla, one of the worst-affected districts.
- No clean water-
"We can't leave the village and no one can come in because all roads are
blocked by earth slips. There is no food and we are short of clean water," he
told media website News Center by telephone.
Officials said about a third of the country was without electricity and
running water as power lines had collapsed and water purification facilities
were inundated. Internet connections were also disrupted in many areas.
Cyclone Ditwah moved away from the island on Saturday and was heading towards
neighbouring India to the north.
India's Chennai Airport has cancelled 54 flights in view of the cyclone's
approach, with the weather department forecasting extremely heavy rainfall
and strong winds over the next 48 hours.
Fresh landslides hit the central district of Kandy, 115 kilometres (71 miles)
east of Colombo, with the main access road underwater at several locations.
The government has issued an appeal for international help and asked Sri
Lankans abroad to make cash donations to support affected communities.
Officials said Prime Minister Harini Amarasuriya had met Colombo-based
diplomats to update them on the situation and seek assistance from their
governments.
India was the first to respond, sending two plane loads of relief supplies,
while an Indian warship already in Colombo on a previously planned goodwill
visit donated its rations to help victims.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed his condolences over the loss
of lives in Sri Lanka and said New Delhi was ready to send more aid.
Flooding in low-lying areas worsened on Saturday, prompting authorities to
issue evacuation orders for those living along the banks of the Kelani river,
which flows into the Indian Ocean from Colombo.
Rain had eased in most parts of the country, including the capital, but the
island's north was still experiencing showers due to the residual effects of
Cyclone Ditwah.
The cyclone is Sri Lanka's deadliest natural disaster since 2017, when
flooding and landslides killed more than 200 people and displaced hundreds of
thousands of others.
The worst flooding Sri Lanka has experienced since the turn of the century
occurred in June 2003, when 254 people were killed.