Indonesia to build up defence capabilities with new aircraft

BSS
Published On: 18 May 2026, 13:33

JAKARTA, May 18, 2026 (BSS/AFP) - Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto said Monday that the Southeast Asian country will continue to build up its defence capabilities as the government handed over equipment including six French-made Rafale jets to the military.

Prabowo presided over a handover ceremony at a military airbase in Jakarta, where he inspected recently-acquired defence equipment including six Dassault Falcon 8x and two Airbus A400M Atlas aircraft.

Jakarta signed an $8.1 billion deal in 2022 under then-defence minister Prabowo to purchase 42 French-made Rafale fighters.

Prabowo said after the ceremony on Monday that Indonesia will keep strengthening its defence capabilities.

"We must continue to improve our defence capabilities to serve as a deterrent. We do not have any interests other than protecting our own territory," he told reporters.

"We observe that the global geopolitical landscape is fraught with uncertainty, and we recognize that defence is a primary prerequisite for stability."

Indonesia received the first batch of three Rafale jets in January, and Monday's ceremony included an additional three jets for the military, defence ministry spokesman Rico Ricardo Sirait told AFP.

He underscored the jets' importance to strengthen Indonesia's air defence system and claimed that defence equipment modernisation was also an investment to safeguard the nation's sovereignty.

"The government views the strengthening of defense equipment not merely as the procurement of combat platforms, but as a strategic investment aimed at safeguarding sovereignty, national honor and national defense readiness," he said.

Prabowo, a former military general who came to power in 2024, has sought to modernise Indonesia's ageing military assets.

He met with French President Emmanuel Macron last month in Paris, where the two leaders discussed bolstering strategic cooperation, including through the "procurement of defence equiment and the strengthening of the defence industry", according to an Indonesian government statement.

  • Latest
  • Most Viewed
Asian markets cautious, oil dips after Trump holds off on Iran attack
China market for Nvidia AI chips to open 'over time': Huang
Maduro ally in US court on money laundering charges
Argentine scientists lay first traps in hantavirus hunt
Japan economy grows faster than expected in first quarter
Libyan ex-prison boss faces ICC war crimes hearing
Stuttering Sabalenka seeks to set down marker at Roland Garros
'Little' Freiburg chasing glory in debut European final
Trump says held off on new Iran attack, upbeat for agreement
Lights out for Cuban students as blockade bites
১০