Govt will ensure justice for deprived armed forces personnel: Chief Adviser
Govt will ensure justice for deprived armed forces personnel: Chief Adviser
No restriction on Tarique Rahman's return: Touhid
No restriction on Tarique Rahman's return: Touhid

AL found organisationally involved in BDR carnage, Taposh identified as key coordinator: report

30 Nov, 2025 21:14 pm
DHAKA, Nov 30, 2025 (BSS) – The National Independent Inquiry Commission, formed to investigate the brutal killings carried out in the name of the BDR mutiny, today submitted its report to the government with findings that Awami League (AL) was organisationally involved in the carnage. The report revealed that the massacre was pre-planned and then Member of Parliament Sheikh Fazle Noor Taposh “acted as the principal coordinator” while the full incident took place with ‘green signal’ from the then prime minister Sheikh Hasina. Commission head Major General (retd) ALM Fazlur Rahman and other members handed over the report to Chief Adviser Professor Muhammad Yunus at the State Guesthouse Jamuna here, said Chief Adviser’s Press Wing this evening. Other members of the Commission are Major General (retd) Md Jahangir Kabir Talukder, Brigadier General (retd) Md Saidur Rahman Bir Protik, former joint secretary Munshi Alauddin Al Azad, former DIG Dr M Akbar Ali, Associate Professor of Dhaka University Political Science Department Md Shariful Islam, and Assistant Professor Jagannath University (JnU) Institute of Education and Research (IER) Md Shahnewaz Khan Chandon.  On the occasion, Fazlur Rahman said that the Commission maintained maximum professionalism to ensure fairness, accuracy and neutrality during the investigation. “When we began working, much of the evidence from this 16-year-old incident had already been destroyed. Many individuals involved in the incident had left the country,” he said. The Commission head added that they went through two processes. “We called witnesses and listened to some of them for up to 8 hours as long as they wanted to talk,” he said, adding, “We spoke to those who were involved in the investigation. We collected their investigation reports and other elements as well." Fazlur Rahman said the Commission attempted to answer every question that existed in the public mind, including why the army had remained inactive during the incident. “The investigation found strong evidence of direct involvement of external forces as well as the then-ruling party Awami League in the BDR carnage,” he added. About the findings, Commission member Jahangir Kabir Talukder said the Commission unearthed some external and real causes behind the incident. “The massacre was pre-planned and then Member of Parliament Sheikh Fazle Noor Taposh acted as the principal coordinator,” he added. Jahangir said that the local AL leaders played a direct role in protecting those involved in the killings, citing that a group of 20–25 people entered Pilkhana in a procession but came out with more than 200 people. “Incident took place with the ‘green signal’ of the then Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina,” he added. Regarding the responsibility for the incident, Jahangir said that the responsibility lies with the then head of government and the army chief as well. Decision was made to resolve this incident politically, he said, adding, the police, RAB and intelligence agencies failed miserably. The Commission member said that during the massacre, some print and electronic media outlets and a few journalists played an “unprofessional role”.  Jahangir said that no proper records were kept of the identities of the BDR personnel who met Sheikh Hasina at the State Guesthouse Jamuna (then the Prime Minister’s residence) during the incident. In its report, the Commission made several recommendations aimed at preventing such incidents within forces in the future and ensuring justice for the victims. Speaking on the occasion, Chief Adviser Professor Yunus said, “For long, the nation remained in the dark about the BDR killings. The nation will remember you for the role you have played in unearthing the truth. I thank you on behalf of the nation.” The nation had many questions about this most horrific event in history, and this work will put an end to those questions, he said, adding, “This report contains many lessons. It will remain as a valuable national asset”.  National Security Adviser Dr Khalilur Rahman, Special Assistant to the Chief Adviser on Defence and National Solidarity Development Lieutenant General (retd) Abdul Hafiz and Home Secretary Nasimul Ghani were present at the event.  
AL found organisationally involved in BDR carnage, Taposh identified as key coordinator: report
More secret booths, no extra polling centres: EC Secretary 
More secret booths, no extra polling centres: EC Secretary 
Global media highlight Khaleda Zia's health condition
Global media highlight Khaleda Zia's health condition
Special Advisory Council meeting prays for Khaleda Zia's swift recovery
Special Advisory Council meeting prays for Khaleda Zia's swift recovery
Nationwide prayers held seeking swift recovery of Khaleda Zia 
Nationwide prayers held seeking swift recovery of Khaleda Zia 
Expatriate voter registration reopens in seven countries
Expatriate voter registration reopens in seven countries
Tourist ship operations to Saint Martin's resumes tomorrow
Tourist ship operations to Saint Martin's resumes tomorrow
Navy concludes annual exercise with successful missile firing in Bay
Navy concludes annual exercise with successful missile firing in Bay

60-hour training mandatory for driving license: BRTA chairman 

60-hour training mandatory for driving license: BRTA chairman 

Puja Udjapon Parishad offers prayers for Khaleda Zia’s recovery

Puja Udjapon Parishad offers prayers for Khaleda Zia’s recovery

Meeting on enhancing national traceability for EU market access held

Meeting on enhancing national traceability for EU market access held

Doa mahfil held seeking Begum Khaleda Zia's early recovery 

Doa mahfil held seeking Begum Khaleda Zia's early recovery 
  • Latest
  • Most Viewed
Naim Sheikh only local player to fetch over a crore in BPL auction
Two held with 10 gold bars in Meherpur 
Fuel price to rise by Tk 2 from tomorrow
Month-long Jatrapala will mark the month of victory
World AIDS Day tomorrow
Nationwide prayers held seeking swift recovery of Khaleda Zia 
Govt will ensure justice for deprived armed forces personnel: Chief Adviser
AL found organisationally involved in BDR carnage, Taposh identified as key coordinator: report
Trump threats dominate as Hondurans vote for president
60-hour training mandatory for driving license: BRTA chairman 
১০
Govt will ensure justice for deprived armed forces personnel: Chief Adviser
Govt will ensure justice for deprived armed forces personnel: Chief Adviser
DHAKA, Nov 30, 2025 (BSS) – Chief Adviser Professor Muhammad Yunus today said the government will ensure justice for all members of the armed forces who faced discrimination, deprivation and persecution under the previous government.  “The government will ensure justice for all members of the Bangladesh Army, Navy and Air Force who faced discrimination, deprivation and persecution under the previous government, in the same way justice is being ensured for other deprived government officials,” he said. The Chief Adviser made the remarks after receiving the report submitted by the committee formed to review the application submitted by retired and dismissed officers of Bangladesh Army, Navy and Air Force who were victims of discrimination, deprivation, injustice and vengeance during the previous government from 2009 to August 4, 2024. Committee Chairman and Special Assistant to the Chief Adviser on Defence and National Solidarity Development Lieutenant General (retd) Abdul Hafiz handed over the report to the Chief Adviser at the State Guest House Jamuna here, said Chief Adviser’s Press Wing this evening.  Other members of the committee Major General (retd) Muhammad Shams-ul-Huda, Major General (retd)  Sheikh Pasha Habib Uddin, Rear Admiral (retd) Muhammad Shafiul Azam and Air Vice Marshal (retd) Muhammad Shafqat Ali were present on the occasion.  Prof Yunus said, “When I assigned you this task, I thought perhaps there had been some minor irregularities. But the comprehensive picture you have revealed is truly horrific—far beyond imagination”. He thanked all committee members for bringing out the truth with full professionalism and objectivity. According to the report, the Committee received a total of 733 applications. After screening, it made recommendations on 145 applications. Committee Chief Abdul Hafiz said the committee held its first meeting on August 19, 2025.  He said that except for a few exceptional cases, no disciplinary actions or allegations of moral turpitude were recorded in the dossier against those on whom the concerned boards formed by the respective forces had made recommendations. The Committee has taken into account the recommendations of the boards formed by the respective forces and has made recommendations beyond those based on the information received in the applications considered by the committee and through interviews with the applicants, Hafiz said.  He said that the committee members gave their opinions on many applicants, and honestly presented their opinions to the committee on the validity of the applications and the justification for the deprivation. The committee chief said the committee confirmed the deprivations of the victims by interviewing the affected officers and, in some cases, by contacting their commanders and superior officers over the phone. The investigation found that six of the applicants faced enforced disappearance for different periods ranging from one to eight years due to the political affiliation of their relatives or on the pretext of their involvement in militancy, which is unprecedented in the history of Bangladesh. Even a retired officer was brutally murdered in a “militant drama”, and later the officer's wife was imprisoned for six years in two phases without trial, along with her one-year-old child, on charges of militant involvement. The investigation also revealed that a number of officers were vocal against the government's inaction in the horrific BDR massacre on February 25, 2009, and five of them were subjected to massive torture by fabricating a fake incident (Barrister Tapash's assassination attempt case). The investigation revealed that five officers were dismissed from service on false charges or without charge while working in the DGFI during the 1/11 caretaker government. The committee found that some officers were assigned by the army headquarters to question the then Prime Minister at Darbar after the BDR massacre. At one point, due to a huge uproar and commotion in the Darbar, five officers were “falsely blamed” and dismissed from service without being given any opportunity to defend themselves. The investigation found that four junior officers (with the rank of lieutenant) were unfairly dismissed from their jobs labeling them as followers of a particular group or militants for performing their religious rituals properly. The committee report said that recommendations have been made regarding 114 officers who were deprived and discriminated in the Army.  The committee recommended that they (as applicable) be granted normal retirement, promotion, pre-retirement promotion, arrears of salary and allowances and ancillary benefits. Out of them, the committee recommended reinstatement of four officials. The committee also recommended granting normal retirement, promotion, pre-retirement promotion, arrears of salary and allowances, and ancillary benefits to 19 officers (as applicable) who were deprived and discriminated in the Navy. It also suggested granting normal retirement, promotion, pre-retirement promotion, arrears of salary and allowances, and ancillary benefits to 12 officers (as applicable) who were deprived and discriminated in the Air Force. Md Ashraf Uddin and Military Secretary to the Chief Adviser Major General Abul Hasnat Mohammad Tariq were present on the occasion. 

Start Prayer Time

Date : 01 Dec, 2025
  • Govt clarifies Google takedown request figures, rejects claims of content control
    Govt clarifies Google takedown request figures, rejects claims of content control
  • Dhaka awaits India’s reply on Hasina extradition 
    Dhaka awaits India’s reply on Hasina extradition 
  • CA seeks written suggestions from experts on earthquake preparedness 
    CA seeks written suggestions from experts on earthquake preparedness 
  • Bhutan PM’s visit reaffirms enduring Dhaka–Thimphu ties: joint statement 
    Bhutan PM’s visit reaffirms enduring Dhaka–Thimphu ties: joint statement 
  • Our only agenda is holding a free, fair election: CEC
    Our only agenda is holding a free, fair election: CEC
  • CA for Armed Forces' efficient role to ensure smooth, festive polls
    CA for Armed Forces' efficient role to ensure smooth, festive polls
  • SC reinstates caretaker government system 
    SC reinstates caretaker government system 
  • BMET's services digitalised through 'Overseas Employment Platform': Dr Asif Nazrul
    BMET's services digitalised through 'Overseas Employment Platform': Dr Asif Nazrul

BRUR holds seminar on 'Hong Kong Higher Education and Research' 

RANGPUR, Nov 30, 2025 (BSS) - A special seminar on 'Hong Kong Higher Education and Research' was held at Begum Rokeya University, Rangpur (BRUR) to highlight the opportunities for higher education and research in Hong Kong universities.    Organised by the BRUR Scholarship Support Office in the virtual classroom of the university's Academic Building-2, Vice-chancellor (VC) Professor Dr Md Showkat Ali virtually attended the seminar as the chief guest on Sunday afternoon.   Director of the office of Students Affairs of BRUR Prof Dr Md Ilias Pramanik and Assistant Prof of the Department of Management Information Systems and PhD Fellow of the City University of Hong Kong Md Shamsul Alam (virtually  from Hong Kong) addressed the seminar.    The speakers discussed in detail the higher education structure, scholarship opportunities, research areas, application process, preparation and various facilities provided to international students in top universities in Hong Kong.    In his speech, the VC said that quality improvement in higher education and research in the global context is one of the foundations of the university's progress.    The present BRUR administration has taken various steps for skill development of students beyond academic studies.    "Such seminars will play a very fruitful role in helping the university students acquire the necessary skills and knowledge to be competitive at the international level," he hoped.   Students from various departments of the university participated in the seminar.
BRUR holds seminar on 'Hong Kong Higher Education and Research' 
BUET's technical committee, DU's coordination committee inspect eight halls
BUET's technical committee, DU's coordination committee inspect eight halls
Environmental Science Discipline of KU publishes proceedings of international conference
Environmental Science Discipline of KU publishes proceedings of international conference
BAU possesses exceptional beauty for its vast greenery 
BAU possesses exceptional beauty for its vast greenery 
Two held with 10 gold bars in Meherpur 
Two held with 10 gold bars in Meherpur 
‘Youth have given message of change through July uprising’ 
‘Youth have given message of change through July uprising’ 

Eight-party alliance to hold rally in Khulna tomorrow

Eight-party alliance to hold rally in Khulna tomorrow

KU administration holds special prayer seeking Khaleda Zia’s recovery

KU administration holds special prayer seeking Khaleda Zia’s recovery

2,700 goats, sheep given PPR vaccine in Gaibandha

2,700 goats, sheep given PPR vaccine in Gaibandha

9 of Pabna Mental Hospital broker gang sentenced to 15 days in jail

9 of Pabna Mental Hospital broker gang sentenced to 15 days in jail

One held with looted police weapon in Munshiganj

One held with looted police weapon in Munshiganj
Man sentenced to life imprisonment in Jamalpur rape case
Man sentenced to life imprisonment in Jamalpur rape case

Court seizes tax files of ex-DSCC mayor Taposh, wife

DHAKA, Nov 30, 2025 (BSS) – A court
Court seizes tax files of ex-DSCC mayor Taposh, wife

ICT scraps Inu's plea for reviewing indictment in July crimes

DHAKA, Nov 30, 2025 (BSS) - The International
ICT scraps Inu's plea for reviewing indictment in July crimes

ICT-1 issues show-cause notice on Adv Fazlur over contempt charge

DHAKA, Nov 30, 2025 (BSS) - The International
ICT-1 issues show-cause notice on Adv Fazlur over contempt charge

Probe report in Sagar-Runi murder case on January 5

DHAKA, Nov 30, 2025 (BSS) - A Dhaka
Probe report in Sagar-Runi murder case on January 5

Court orders to attach ex-whip Iqbal’s assets

DHAKA, Nov 27, 2025 (BSS) - A Dhaka
Court orders to attach ex-whip Iqbal’s assets

Arrest warrants issued against Hasina, Quader in Savar fish trader murder case

DHAKA, Nov 27, 2025 (BSS) – A Dhaka
Arrest warrants issued against Hasina, Quader in Savar fish trader murder case
Workshop on AI held in city
Workshop on AI held in city
NASA rover records first evidence of lightning on Mars
China says humanoid robot buzz carries bubble risk
8
Naim Sheikh only local player to fetch over a crore in BPL auction
Naim Sheikh only local player to fetch over a crore in BPL auction
BCB mulls to start Women's BPL soon
Jillur hits century to make headline in NCL
BanglaFact detects ‘BD Digest’ as AL’s platform for spreading propaganda
BanglaFact detects ‘BD Digest’ as AL’s platform for spreading propaganda
BanglaFact identifies fake video using name of Police Headquarters
AI-generated video circulating propaganda against BNP: Rumor Scanner
World AIDS Day tomorrow
World AIDS Day tomorrow
572 new dengue cases reported overnight
572 new dengue cases reported overnight
RMCH gets life-saving injections worth Tk 36 crore free
RMCH gets life-saving injections worth Tk 36 crore free
Brazil approves world's first single-dose dengue vaccine
Brazil approves world's first single-dose dengue vaccine
Seven dengue patients die, 567 fresh cases detected overnight
Seven dengue patients die, 567 fresh cases detected overnight
Cesarean surgical skills can prevent iatrogenic fistula: experts
Cesarean surgical skills can prevent iatrogenic fistula: experts
California affirms vaccine advice after US govt autism change
California affirms vaccine advice after US govt autism change
One dengue patient dies, 633 fresh cases detected overnight
One dengue patient dies, 633 fresh cases detected overnight
Two dengue patients die, 705 fresh cases detected overnight
Two dengue patients die, 705 fresh cases detected overnight