Malaysia ends Indonesia migrant boat search, 16 bodies recovered

BSS
Published On: 18 May 2026, 13:40

KUALA LUMPUR, May 18, 2026 (BSS/AFP) - Malaysia said Monday it had ended a search for passengers of a migrant boat from Indonesia that sank off the country's western coast last week after the bodies of all 16 missing were recovered.

The Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) in Perak state said 23 people were rescued after the vessel sank off Pangkor island west of peninsular Malaysia on May 11.

Perak MMEA director Mohamad Shukri Khotob told AFP that the search was called off Saturday.

"It's the standard (procedure) for us to carry out search and rescue mission for six days. We ended the search at 7:00 pm on Saturday after there were no new discoveries in the area," Mohamad Shukri said by telephone Monday.

He said all 23 survivors were Indonesian but he was unsure if the 16 dead were all their compatriots.

The migrants were trying to reach several destinations in Malaysia, including Penang, Terengganu, Selangor and Kuala Lumpur for work.

Mohamad Shukri said initial information from survivors that there were 37 people on board was inaccurate, as those rescued and the body count totalled 39.

Aside from the MMEA, the search mission also involved the Royal Malaysian Navy, the Marine Police Force and local fisherfolk.

Relatively affluent Malaysia is home to millions of migrants from poorer parts of Asia, many of them undocumented, working in industries including construction and agriculture.

But the crossings, facilitated by human trafficking syndicates, are often hazardous leading to boats capsizing.

In one of the deadliest recent incidents, 36 migrants died in November 2025 after their boat capsized near the Thai-Malaysian coast.

  • Latest
  • Most Viewed
Asian markets cautious, oil dips after Trump holds off on Iran attack
China market for Nvidia AI chips to open 'over time': Huang
Maduro ally in US court on money laundering charges
Argentine scientists lay first traps in hantavirus hunt
Japan economy grows faster than expected in first quarter
Libyan ex-prison boss faces ICC war crimes hearing
Stuttering Sabalenka seeks to set down marker at Roland Garros
'Little' Freiburg chasing glory in debut European final
Trump says held off on new Iran attack, upbeat for agreement
Lights out for Cuban students as blockade bites
১০