Iraq says air defences did not detect drones toward Saudi Arabia

BSS
Published On: 18 May 2026, 21:54

BAGHDAD, May 18, 2026 (BSS/AFP) - Iraq's foreign ministry said Monday that the country's air defence systems had not detected any drones launched from its territory toward Saudi Arabia.

Late Sunday, Saudi Arabia said it had intercepted and destroyed three drones that entered from Iraqi airspace, adding that it "reserves the right to respond at the appropriate time and place."

But, the Iraqi foreign ministry said authorities had opened an investigation "to determine the circumstances surrounding the incident".

It added that the country's air defence and surveillance systems had not detected any launches.

The ministry urged Riyadh "to cooperate and share relevant information to help ensure accurate information that strengthen security and stability in both brotherly countries."

No Iraqi group has claimed responsibility for the drones.

After the United States and Israel attacked Iran on February 28, and before a ceasefire was announced, Tehran-backed Iraqi groups intervened in support of Iran and struck US facilities in Iraq and the wider region, including Gulf countries.

Last month, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain and Jordan issued a joint statement demanding that Baghdad act immediately to prevent attacks from its territory by Iran-backed armed groups.

Iraq has repeatedly said it does not allow its territory to be used in attacks against other countries.
 

  • Latest
  • Most Viewed
Asian markets cautious, oil dips after Trump holds off on Iran attack
China market for Nvidia AI chips to open 'over time': Huang
Maduro ally in US court on money laundering charges
Argentine scientists lay first traps in hantavirus hunt
Japan economy grows faster than expected in first quarter
Libyan ex-prison boss faces ICC war crimes hearing
Stuttering Sabalenka seeks to set down marker at Roland Garros
'Little' Freiburg chasing glory in debut European final
Trump says held off on new Iran attack, upbeat for agreement
Lights out for Cuban students as blockade bites
১০