Lights return in Madrid after massive power outage

BSS
Published On: 29 Apr 2025, 08:51

MADRID, April 29, 2025 (BSS/AFP) - Lights came back on across Madrid late Monday as Spain's power operator said it was progressively overcoming a massive power outage that plunged the Iberian peninsula into darkness.

More than 35 percent of Spain's power demand was being met, the country's REE electricity operator. Portugal's operator said it had also made gains in overcoming the outage.

By 8:35 pm (1835 GMT) REE was meeting "35.1 percent of demand", Eduardo Prieto, REE's operations director, told Cadena Ser radio.

In Madrid, traffic lights and the storefronts of shops slowly became lit up in different districts.

REE said earlier that power was being "progressively" restored across the country.

Meanwhile Portugal's REN power operator was aiming for full restoration by Tuesday.

"I hope we will manage to balance the whole system during the night," REN administrator Joao Faria Conceicao told journalists.

Already some 750,000 customers, out of some 6.5 million, were back online Monday evening including the whole of the city of Porto.

REN reiterated there was still no firm cause for the shock mass outage.

 

  • Latest
  • Most Viewed
BAU declares indefinite closure
Illegal factories shut down, banned polythene seized in countrywide drives
ACC conducts enforcement drives in BTRC, Bhola, Bogura
Govt to recruit 2,169 head teachers for primary schools
JU students protest attack on CU students, demand justice
Experts for protecting human rights at all workplaces
About 80pc of judicial reform programme implemented: CJ 
NCP demands decisive action against Jatiya Party, calls for ‘Constituent Assembly’ polls
CA reaffirms national polls within first half of Feb ‘26
Jamaat agrees to February elections
১০