More secret booths, no extra polling centres: EC Secretary 

BSS
Published On: 30 Nov 2025, 20:38 Updated On:30 Nov 2025, 20:41
Election Commission (EC) Senior Secretary Akhtar Ahmed. -File Photo

DHAKA, Nov 30, 2025 (BSS) — Election Commission (EC) Senior Secretary Akhtar Ahmed today said the Commission has taken an initial decision to increase the number of secret voting booths inside each polling station rather than expanding the number of polling centres for the upcoming 13th National parliamentary election and the referendum.

“We were reviewing whether additional polling centres would be needed. To assess this, we conducted a mock voting on Saturday. The preliminary analysis of that data shows that we do not need more polling centres. However, the number of secret booths may need to be increased,” he told reporters this evening after a meeting with secretaries of various ministries and heads of departments.

The EC Secretary said the move aims to ensure that voters can cast their ballots smoothly and maintain the natural pace of the voting process.

Referring to concerns about election officials receiving hospitality from local influential groups, he said, “This time we have clearly instructed that such practices must not occur under any circumstance. To ensure this, the commission has increased their allowances and is considering offering additional financial benefits on the day of duty so that they are not dependent on others for accommodation.”

He said the expatriate voter registration system which was temporarily suspended due to some technical issue, has now resumed with new features. 

“We have added several necessary components, including an option for address or spelling corrections—what IT experts call an edit mode. Previously, the scope for correcting information was limited; now it has been expanded,” he said.

The EC Secretary added that ministries have been requested to appoint a “contact point” to ensure quick coordination whenever necessary. 

“We have also asked the postal department to arrange visits to the ballot paper printing facility and sorting centres in Tejgaon and at the airport so that stakeholders can observe the arrangements firsthand,” he said.

Commenting on security measures, he said, “Home ministry  is the chief authority. The ministry informed us that the overall situation remains stable. The few stray incidents that occur from time to time are not unusual. Still, the authorities remain alert to prevent any escalation.”

Earlier today, from 3 pm, the Commission held its second round of meetings with secretaries and departmental heads of 21 ministries to review coordination, deployment planning, and other preparations ahead of the announcement of the schedule for the 13th national parliamentary election and referendum.
 

  • Latest
  • Most Viewed
Naim Sheikh only local player to fetch over a crore in BPL auction
Two held with 10 gold bars in Meherpur 
Fuel price to rise by Tk 2 from tomorrow
Month-long Jatrapala will mark the month of victory
World AIDS Day tomorrow
Nationwide prayers held seeking swift recovery of Khaleda Zia 
Govt will ensure justice for deprived armed forces personnel: Chief Adviser
AL found organisationally involved in BDR carnage, Taposh identified as key coordinator: report
Trump threats dominate as Hondurans vote for president
60-hour training mandatory for driving license: BRTA chairman 
১০