Govt will ensure justice for deprived armed forces personnel: Chief Adviser

BSS
Published On: 30 Nov 2025, 21:23 Updated On:30 Nov 2025, 22:52
Chief Adviser Professor Muhammad Yunus received the report submitted by the committee formed to review the application submitted by retired and dismissed officers of Bangladesh Army, Navy and Air Force at the State Guest House Jamuna today. Photo : Chief Adviser’s Press Wing

DHAKA, Nov 30, 2025 (BSS) – Chief Adviser Professor Muhammad Yunus today said the government will ensure justice for all members of the armed forces who faced discrimination, deprivation and persecution under the previous government. 

“The government will ensure justice for all members of the Bangladesh Army, Navy and Air Force who faced discrimination, deprivation and persecution under the previous government, in the same way justice is being ensured for other deprived government officials,” he said.

The Chief Adviser made the remarks after receiving the report submitted by the committee formed to review the application submitted by retired and dismissed officers of Bangladesh Army, Navy and Air Force who were victims of discrimination, deprivation, injustice and vengeance during the previous government from 2009 to August 4, 2024.

Committee Chairman and Special Assistant to the Chief Adviser on Defence and National Solidarity Development Lieutenant General (retd) Abdul Hafiz handed over the report to the Chief Adviser at the State Guest House Jamuna here, said Chief Adviser’s Press Wing this evening. 

Other members of the committee Major General (retd) Muhammad Shams-ul-Huda, Major General (retd)  Sheikh Pasha Habib Uddin, Rear Admiral (retd) Muhammad Shafiul Azam and Air Vice Marshal (retd) Muhammad Shafqat Ali were present on the occasion. 

Prof Yunus said, “When I assigned you this task, I thought perhaps there had been some minor irregularities. But the comprehensive picture you have revealed is truly horrific—far beyond imagination”.

He thanked all committee members for bringing out the truth with full professionalism and objectivity.

According to the report, the Committee received a total of 733 applications. After screening, it made recommendations on 145 applications.

Committee Chief Abdul Hafiz said the committee held its first meeting on August 19, 2025. 

He said that except for a few exceptional cases, no disciplinary actions or allegations of moral turpitude were recorded in the dossier against those on whom the concerned boards formed by the respective forces had made recommendations.

The Committee has taken into account the recommendations of the boards formed by the respective forces and has made recommendations beyond those based on the information received in the applications considered by the committee and through interviews with the applicants, Hafiz said. 

He said that the committee members gave their opinions on many applicants, and honestly presented their opinions to the committee on the validity of the applications and the justification for the deprivation.

The committee chief said the committee confirmed the deprivations of the victims by interviewing the affected officers and, in some cases, by contacting their commanders and superior officers over the phone.

The investigation found that six of the applicants faced enforced disappearance for different periods ranging from one to eight years due to the political affiliation of their relatives or on the pretext of their involvement in militancy, which is unprecedented in the history of Bangladesh.

Even a retired officer was brutally murdered in a “militant drama”, and later the officer's wife was imprisoned for six years in two phases without trial, along with her one-year-old child, on charges of militant involvement.

The investigation also revealed that a number of officers were vocal against the government's inaction in the horrific BDR massacre on February 25, 2009, and five of them were subjected to massive torture by fabricating a fake incident (Barrister Tapash's assassination attempt case).

The investigation revealed that five officers were dismissed from service on false charges or without charge while working in the DGFI during the 1/11 caretaker government.

The committee found that some officers were assigned by the army headquarters to question the then Prime Minister at Darbar after the BDR massacre. At one point, due to a huge uproar and commotion in the Darbar, five officers were “falsely blamed” and dismissed from service without being given any opportunity to defend themselves.

The investigation found that four junior officers (with the rank of lieutenant) were unfairly dismissed from their jobs labeling them as followers of a particular group or militants for performing their religious rituals properly.

The committee report said that recommendations have been made regarding 114 officers who were deprived and discriminated in the Army. 

The committee recommended that they (as applicable) be granted normal retirement, promotion, pre-retirement promotion, arrears of salary and allowances and ancillary benefits. Out of them, the committee recommended reinstatement of four officials.

The committee also recommended granting normal retirement, promotion, pre-retirement promotion, arrears of salary and allowances, and ancillary benefits to 19 officers (as applicable) who were deprived and discriminated in the Navy.

It also suggested granting normal retirement, promotion, pre-retirement promotion, arrears of salary and allowances, and ancillary benefits to 12 officers (as applicable) who were deprived and discriminated in the Air Force.

Md Ashraf Uddin and Military Secretary to the Chief Adviser Major General Abul Hasnat Mohammad Tariq were present on the occasion. 

  • Latest
  • Most Viewed
Naim Sheikh only local player to fetch over a crore in BPL auction
Two held with 10 gold bars in Meherpur 
Fuel price to rise by Tk 2 from tomorrow
Month-long Jatrapala will mark the month of victory
World AIDS Day tomorrow
Nationwide prayers held seeking swift recovery of Khaleda Zia 
Govt will ensure justice for deprived armed forces personnel: Chief Adviser
AL found organisationally involved in BDR carnage, Taposh identified as key coordinator: report
Trump threats dominate as Hondurans vote for president
60-hour training mandatory for driving license: BRTA chairman 
১০