Sundarbans reopens tomorrow, security tightened for tourists

BSS
Published On: 31 Aug 2025, 16:46
Photo: BSS

KHULNA, Aug 31, 2025 (BSS) - After a three-month closure to protect biodiversity and allow for fish and wildlife breeding, the Sundarbans, the world's largest mangrove forest and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, will reopen to fishermen, forest dwellers and tourists on Monday (tomorrow).

Authorities from both the East and West forest divisions have announced extensive preparations to ensure safety and smooth travel for locals and visitors.

According to the Forest Department, since 2019, entry to the Sundarbans has been prohibited every year from June to August, following a government decision to safeguard the mangrove's ecological balance. The ban officially ends at midnight on Sunday.

AZM Hasanur Rahman, forest officer of West Sundarbans Divisional (DFO), told BSS, "All forest camps are on alert to ensure the safety of tourists and fishermen. Eco-tourism spots have been cleaned and prepared."

Strict measures will be enforced against plastic waste in the mangrove forest, he added.

"Visitors are prohibited from bringing single-use plastics, including bottles, plates, and cans. Anyone violating this directive will face fines and legal action," he warned.

The Sundarbans Tour Operators Association of Bangladesh (TOAB) noted that despite the reopening, this period remains an off-season for tourism.

"The peak tourist season is from November to March," said TOAB Secretary Nazmul Azam David, adding that their members operate 70 tourist launches and vessels in the forest.

So far, five launches have been booked for September 1, with daily trips expected to increase from mid-November.

On Sunday morning, activity picked up at forest entry points. At Kashiabad Forest Station, fishermen were seen preparing their boats with fishing nets, ice boxes, and food supplies after receiving official permits (passes) from the Forest Department. Many others, however, were still waiting for permits.

Fishermen from Shoronkhola's Panirghat, Bogi, and Rajapur villages described the hardship of the past three months.

"We survived on loans from different NGOs and local lenders here at high interest. Families often went hungry," said Rustam Boyati, a fisherman.

"Now our boats are ready, and we are just waiting for the signal to sail tonight."

Meanwhile, at Kotka Wildlife Sanctuary under the East Sundarbans Division, preparations to welcome tourists are complete.

Acting Forest Officer Matiur Rahman said wildlife activity had noticeably increased during the three-month closure, with more deer and monkeys roaming the area.

Md. Rezaul Karim Chowdhury, DFO of East Sundarbans, told BSS, "The forest is now fully prepared to welcome both fishermen and tourists. From next year, during the fishing ban, registered fishermen will also receive food aid through the Fisheries Department." 

  • Latest
  • Most Viewed
Navy rescues 12 fishermen onboard dysfunction trawler
BNP’s main goal to protect people's rights, independence, sovereignty: Tarique Rahman
Yemen's Huthis vow to intensify attacks on Israel after group's PM killed
Aid flotilla with Greta Thunberg sets sail for Gaza
Election is only way to save the country: Fakhrul 
Nurjahan Murshid’s 22nd death anniversary tomorrow
Mustafizur creates record of winning most matches for Bangladesh
107th birth anniversary of Bangabir M A G Osmani to be celebrated in Sylhet tomorrow
Religious adviser Khalid meets Pakistani High commissioner  
Health Adviser visits Nurul Haque Nur at DMCH
১০