
TEHRAN, May 20, 2026 (BSS/AFP) - Iran's chief negotiator said Wednesday the
United States wanted to restart the Middle East war after President Donald
Trump said he would attack again unless Tehran agreed a peace deal.
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, who warned of a "forceful response", was speaking
after Iran's Revolutionary Guards said any renewed war would spread far
beyond the Middle East.
"The enemy's movements, both overt and clandestine, show that despite
economic and political pressure, it has not abandoned its military objectives
and is seeking to start a new war," Ghalibaf said in an audio message carried
by Iranian media.
A ceasefire on April 8 brought a halt to the US-Israeli conflict with Iran,
which has roiled the global economy, but with Washington and Tehran seemingly
reluctant to resume the fighting a war of words has taken its place.
US President Donald Trump has repeatedly threatened Tehran with renewed
military action, while Iranian officials have hit back with their own
warnings of devastating action.
Nevertheless, despite sporadic outbursts of violence, the two countries have
continued to take part in diplomatic exchanges, mediated by Pakistan, aimed
at bringing a formal end to the war.
On Tuesday, US Vice President JD Vance told reporters that "a lot of good
progress is being made" and "we're just going to keep working at it", even as
he told Iran the US military was "locked and loaded".
- 'I'm not sure yet' -
The Revolutionary Guards issued their own threat on Wednesday, saying, "if
the aggression against Iran is repeated, the promised regional war will this
time spread far beyond the region, and our devastating blows will crush you".
"The American-Zionist enemy... must know that despite the offensive carried
out against us using the full capabilities of the world's two most expensive
armies, we have not deployed the full power of the Islamic revolution," the
Guards said in a statement on their Sepah News website.
Citing diplomatic sources, official news agency IRNA meanwhile announced a
visit to Tehran by Pakistan's interior minister, his second in less than a
week.
On Tuesday, Trump insisted the US retained the upper hand and that Iran was
desperate for peace.
"You know how it is to negotiate with a country where you're beating them
badly. They come to the table, they're begging to make a deal," he said.
"I hope we don't have to do the war, but we may have to give them another big
hit. I'm not sure yet."
He has previously made similar claims without a deal being concluded.
- Under pressure -
The US leader is himself under pressure, with rising energy costs beginning
to bite at home.
While the ceasefire brought a halt to the fighting, it has not reopened the
vital Strait of Hormuz, through which a fifth of the world's oil and
liquefied natural gas usually pass.
The future of the waterway is a key sticking point in negotiations, but
without a deal fears are growing for the global economy as pre-war stockpiles
of oil are used up.
Rising fuel prices have caused widespread pain, with protests erupting in
Kenya, which like many African countries is dependent on imports from the
Gulf and where the public transport system has ground to a halt.
"It's unfortunate that we lost four Kenyans in today's violence, which also
saw more than 30 people injured," Interior Minister Kipchumba Murkomen told
reporters.
The strait is also a conduit for around a third of global fertiliser, the
loss of which is pushing up food prices and could cause shortages.
On Wednesday, the UN's Food and Agriculture Organization warned of "a severe
global food price crisis" and a "systemic agrifood shock" from the closure of
the strait.