UAE urges Iraq to prevent attacks from its territory 'immediately'

BSS
Published On: 20 May 2026, 21:29

DUBAI, May 20, 2026 (BSS/AFP) - The UAE demanded on Wednesday that Iraq 
"immediately" prevent further attacks from its territory, following an 
accusation by the Emirates that a drone targeting a nuclear plant was 
launched from there.

The foreign ministry in a statement called on "Iraq to prevent all hostile 
acts originating from its territory urgently and without conditions", saying 
there was a "need to address those threats promptly, immediately and 
responsibly".

On Sunday, an unclaimed drone attack struck an electrical generator near the 
Arab world's only nuclear power plant in Barakah in the emirate of Abu Dhabi, 
triggering a fire but causing no injuries or radiation leak. Two other drones 
were intercepted.

Last month, several Gulf countries -- including Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the 
UAE -- and Jordan demanded in a joint statement that Baghdad act immediately 
to stop attacks from its territory by pro-Iran armed groups.

Along with the Gulf states, Iraq was dragged into the war between the United 
States, Israel and Iran, with strikes repeatedly targeting both US interests 
-- especially the embassy in Baghdad -- and pro-Iran groups in the country.

During the fighting, pro-Iran armed groups claimed to have launched daily 
attacks on "enemy bases" in Iraq and the wider region, but said they were 
suspending their actions after a temporary ceasefire was announced in April.

An Iraqi security official told AFP that "Arab countries have not provided 
precise information, only accusations" and that Iraq demands "evidence and 
precise information so that Iraqi authorities can take the appropriate 
measures".

Iraqi government spokesperson Bassem al-Awadi told state media on Tuesday 
that Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi had ordered the formation of military 
committees to contact Arab states for "accurate information for 
verification".

Tehran launched retaliatory strikes across the region after the US and Israel 
struck Iran on February 28, killing senior leaders and triggering a broader 
war.

Iran has accused the UAE and other US allies in the Gulf of allowing US 
forces to carry out attacks from their territory. The UAE has angrily denied 
Iranian reports that it has actively carried out attacks of its own.

Washington and Tehran agreed a truce on April 8 but peace negotiations have 
stalled and sporadic attacks have continued.

 

  • Latest
  • Most Viewed
Country sets new record in power generation
120 arrested in Mirpur division crackdown
Safe, women-friendly public transport system needed beyond separate buses
7-8 EPZ workers missing after trawler collision in Mongla river, search underway
Shama launches Bangladesh, Morocco bilateral B2B platform
Foreign currency reserve stands at $34.38b
Education must equip students with skills, not just degrees: Education Minister
Prime accused arrested for killing child by pumping air into rectum
State Minister Razib makes surprise visit to Sadarghat
Discussion held in Khulna marking World Metrology Day
১০