Ebola risk upgraded to 'very high' in DR Congo: WHO chief

BSS
Published On: 22 May 2026, 20:30

GENEVA, May 22, 2026 (BSS/AFP) - The public health risk from the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has been upgraded from high to very high, the World Health Organization said on Friday.

The risk level remains high at the regional level and low worldwide, WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a press conference.

He said there were now nearly 750 suspected cases in the DR Congo and 177 suspected deaths.

"The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is spreading rapidly," Tedros said.

"We are now revising our risk assessment to very high at the national level, high at the regional level, and low at the global level.

"So far, 82 cases have been confirmed in DRC, with seven confirmed deaths.

"But we know the epidemic in DRC is much larger. There are now almost 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths.

"The situation in Uganda is stable, with two cases confirmed in people who travelled from DRC, with one death."

Tedros said that violence and insecurity was impeding the response to the outbreak.

  • Latest
  • Most Viewed
Pakistan military chief arrives in Tehran in push to end Iran war
Begum Zia worked devotedly to consolidate democracy: Speaker
Govt primary schools closed until June 6
Fake APS to PM arrested in Savar
Four cows killed in Mollahat cowshed fire, damages estimated at Tk 10 lakh
Swapon urges nation to embrace Nazrul's spirit as holistic national ideal
PM gives Eid bonus to sanitation workers
DSCC begins biodegradable bags distribution for animal waste disposal
Govt committed to building livable Bangladesh by eliminating social crimes: Saimum Parvez
Two BracU students drown in Munshiganj
১০