36 attacks launched on uprising participants, families in 9-month: PIB study

BSS
Published On: 06 May 2025, 18:42

DHAKA, May 6, 2025 (BSS) - At least 36 attacks were carried out on those who actively participated in the July-August mass upsurge and their families in different parts of the country in the last nine months, according to a study of the Press Institute of Bangladesh (PIB).

Fact Check, Media and Research wing of PIB known as ‘BanglaFact’ conducted the study.

At its Facebook page, BanglaFact mentioned that by analyzing the news published in various national and regional media, it can be seen that there have been 36 attacks on those who actively participated in the July-August mass upsurge and their families in different parts of the country in the last nine months.

 “No political affiliation was found with nine of them. It should be noted that there may have been more attacks outside of these incidents, which were not published in the media or were published in the media but did not come up in the results due to research limitations,” they added. 

According to BanglaFact, in the last nine months, 27 of the attacks on July protestors and martyrs' families were found to be politically related. In 13 cases (about 48%) of these attacks, allegations were made against the leaders and activists of the Awami League and its affiliated organizations.

Besides physical assaults on the uprising participants and their families, the study revealed incidents of desecration of martyrs’ graves. Miscreants vandalised the grave of Faizul Islam on 26 April and that of Sayem on 14 March, both at Keraniganj on the outskirts of the capital. 

Sayem's mother alleged that local Awami League leader Sirajul Islam committed the crime.

According to BanglaFact's investigation, the biggest part of those involved in 27 attacks is the leaders and activists of Awami League or its affiliated organizations (banned Chhatra League, Jubo League). They were related with 13 of the 36 incidents. 

On the 25th of January last, the leaders and activists of Awami League attacked two coordinators of the anti-discrimination student movement while capturing an activist of the banned Chhatra League at Gopalganj Science and Technology University and handing him over to the police. 

According to media reports, two journalists were also injured. Mostak Ahmed Noman, the organizing secretary of the banned Upazila Chhatra League, was arrested in connection with the attack on Mubarak Hossain Abhi, the coordinator of the anti-discrimination student movement, in Gouripur, Mymensingh on December 21 last year.
 

  • Latest
  • Most Viewed
More than 800 Iraqis repatriated from notorious Syria camp
Haiti in 'perfect storm of suffering': UN chief
German defence minister ups pressure on France over jet project
Iran says sanctions snapback to 'undermine' cooperation with UN nuclear watchdog
Trump 'not happy' but 'not surprised' by Kyiv strikes: White House
Poland to lift defence spending to 4.8% of GPD next year
Israeli forces raid site near Syria capital: state media
Israel says in talks 'right now' on south Syria demilitarisation
More than 6,000 flee Kenya refugee camp as aid shortages worsen: UN
Lebanon says Israeli drone explodes after crash, killing two soldiers
১০